Posted on Leave a comment

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, let’s keep it that way

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Let’s keep it that way with a few holiday safety tips for rover.

I am already getting advice calls for the New Years celebration noise phobias in dogs, so let’s incorporate this article to include the whole holiday season shebang.

Although the urgent pleas for people to stay at home will be adhered to by possibly 70%, according to the news statistics, the other 30% may pay a visit to you and your dog.

It takes a village to raise a dog and keep your dog safe during the festivities.

When company arrives, please remind them there is a rover in the house and request that they adhere to a few simple rules.

Please place personal belongings in a safe place so that curious busy dogs cannot access medicine, poison, gum, toothpaste or candy.

Did you know a small amount of artificial sweeteners such as xylitol can cause extreme low blood sugar, seizures and possibly death?

Request that guests refrain from feeding Fido.

Table foods that can make your dog sick include almost everything you may be eating. Foods that are safe are white meat Turkey in very small amounts, a green bean or two, a bite of mashed potatoes, and a sconch of sweet potatoes.

No dessert, nuts, chocolate or alcohol.

Dogs can become ill or even get pancreatitis from people food.

Have doggie snacks and treats available in pea size portions for your guests to be able to feed fido. This will also enhance his social skills and create a desirable doggie environment for holidays to come.

When my dog Piper, was young, she did not enjoy having company. The first few holidays were more focused on preventing the grandkids from being bit verses enjoying the holiday, but the efforts were worth it because now I have a social dog that can join us for all the family gatherings without any concerns.

Other hazards that come with the holiday are tinsel and bows that can be ingested and cause an obstruction.

Xmas tree water can be attractive to some dogs but it can make them sick

Plants such as misstletoe, holly and poinsettias can cause an upset stomach if ingested.

String lights and ribbon can become an electrical or choking hazard.

Candles can catch tails on fire or be knocked over and worse.

Cats can try and climb Xmas trees and dogs might try and steal ornaments. It’s ok for the tree to be naked from the waist down.

Tabletop trees can be a great preventative measure for some busy pets.

Familiarize yourself with your vets holiday schedule and see who will open for emergencies.

Keep in mind it may take a few days to fill a sedative type prescription for your dog if they need one. Things that make dogs anxious are the celebratory gunshots and horns and pot banging sounds that can be heard to bring in the much welcomed New Year.

If you have been thinking about it, is it time to check into CBD for your pet?

Exposing your young puppy to these sounds, even if they are simulated can greatly reduce adult noise phobias.

White noise can be used to drown out the sound of outdoor scary noise activity. This can include your TV, music, or a loud fan placed in certain areas. Keep it constant and kept loud enough to drown out outside noise. You can also upload noise apps from your phone.

Make sure your pup or other animals have a safe place to retreat to if the company is a little much for them. Keep in mind if you decide to put your pup up for a break, take some toys and treats to make it positive so they don’t feel as if they are being punished.

Don’t forget to get Rover a new toy for Xmas too! It’s ok for them to tear it up. Quickly remove the stuffing and don’t let them choke on the squeaker and repeat. 🙂

Best wishes for peace and joy for the holiday season and the whole year through.

Wags of wisdom:
The gift of a pet is the gift of commitment for the life of the pet.

The Daily dogs are Rita the Chi-weenie and Oliver the miniature Schnauzer. They enjoy getting dressed up for the holidays and wanted to share wishes for happy holidays with you.

Leave a Reply